Thursday, September 29, 2011

I'm Just Saying: Casey on Coaches!

Some time ago, I had a discussion with Peter Finney, Jr., the editor of our Archdiocesan newspaper, The Clarion Herald, about Catholic identity in our schools.  He recently had reason to recall my comments about the important role of coaches and moderators in Catholic formation of the young people with whom they work.  I had said that, in an NCEA publication, "CHS 2000"  about Catholic secondary schools, research is quoted that demonstrates that young people are most likely to pray in: huddles, at games, and when invited to during activities and athletic events. I told him that my experience in schools confirmed that. A recent spate of publicity about the intemperate language of a major university football coach prompted him to give me a call.  I went to drop off a copy of the "CHS 2000" document, and while at his office, he interviewed me.  If you want to see the result you can go to the Clarion Herald and see the results.     http://clarionherald.info/clarion/index.php/parks-home/489-the-blue-tongue-of-notre-dame-coach-brian-kelly%3Ehttp://clarionherald.info/clarion/index.php/parks-home/489-the-blue-tongue-of-notre-dame-coach-brian-kelly 

On caller who read the article said:  "Well, it does sound like you!"  The truth is, Peter tapes you as you talk and is very accurate. "I'm just saying."

No comments:

Post a Comment